#OptOut2018 is here.
Testing begins on March 1 and it is more important than ever to deny the data which fuel the attacks on public schools. Be informed. Be involved. Take action. And spread the word.
The past year has brought some of the most punitive mandates (HB 7069 – 2017) from the state of Florida, with increasingly blatant attacks on public education. This legislative session is well under way and the actions of Florida’s legislators (HB 7055) promise to further hack away at the ability of our public schools to provide the high quality education to our children, to which they are entitled by Florida law.
It is EACH parent’s duty to investigate and to weigh the harm being done to their child’s education by high stakes testing, computerized and dehumanized curriculum, and to understand that it is THEIR choice, whether or not to allow their child to test, and that doing so provides the data with which to rank, sort and label their children and teachers, harming public education for all.
This is the current Opt Out Guide for Florida for this year.
Click here: Complete Opt Out Guide
The information for opting out has not changed significantly from last year to this year. In order to ascertain that you have the most current information, the date of the last update will be indicated at the bottom of this post.
Steps to Opt Out
Refusing a Paper Based Test
Refusing a Computer Based Test
What do we know about NR2 and NT codes?
Emails from FLDOE RE: NR2/NT scores
Third Grade Resources
Test Questions Every Parent Needs To Ask
State of Florida Testing Calendar
It’s hard to believe, but there are still parents out there who don’t know that they can opt out of the tests. Find your local group, connect with your opt out community and let’s keep growing this movement.
Knowledge is power. The more parents are informed, the more powerful we ALL can be! If you find this information helpful, remember that it is most POWERFUL when it’s shared!
If you are new to this movement, rest assured that you are not alone. Find and join your local opt out group (link below) for information and support, read up and ask questions. Talk to your children’s teachers and talk to other parents. Most of all, TALK TO YOUR CHILDREN – no matter how old or how young they may be – LISTEN to them.
And BELIEVE THEM.
Please FOLLOW and keep checking back on this site for more info to help your kids to opt out successfully and to keep you going strong. There is a LOT of information in the links below. Please take the time to read through. You will find many answers to your questions within.
Thank you for joining us in this fight for kids and our public schools.
IMPORTANT RESOURCES to keep you informed. SHARE.
* Complete Opt Out Guide: http://bit.ly/CompleteOptOutGuide
* Opt Out Third Grade 101: bit.ly/OO3rdGrade101
* Navigating Gr 3 Retention Threat: bit.ly/Gr3RetentionThreat
* Sample Letter to Request a 3rd Grade Portfolio: http://bit.ly/PortfolioLetter
* FLDOE Technical Assistance Paper Third-Grade Student Progression (Pages 5-7)
* VIDEO How To Opt Out of Computer Test: bit.ly/OptOutDemo2016
* What Does This Bully Letter Really Mean?: bit.ly/igotabullyletter
* Special Opt Out group for Third Grade here: bit.ly/OOFL3rd
* Find your local Opt Out group: bit.ly/LocalOptOutGroups
* 8 Yr Old Talks Test Prep: bit.ly/8YOTalksTestPrep
With state testing season beginning this week, FairTest is pleased to offer freshly updated, free fact sheets about opting out. Please circulate widely!
Much of the push back that you may face from your school, administrator or school district can be challenged by these detailed Fact Sheets from FairTest:
– Federal Law and Regulations on Opting Out Under ESSA (Updated February 2018)
– Why You Can Boycott Standardized Tests Without Fear of Federal Penalties to Your School (Updated February 2018)
Remember… if this was easy, it wouldn’t be called a struggle.
Updated Feb 27, 2018